The trusty Cauliflower has had a bit of a comeback in the past few years and it’s got a fresh new look. Gone are the days of over boiled mush. It’s time for it to shine with all it’s nutritional wonder. Packed with a nutrient called ‘Choline’, essential for brain development, Cauliflower has super powers! What’s more, some studies have linked it to neural and cognitive development during the prenatal period. Move over Kale… there’s an OLD kid in town. 😉 Add to this some Pomegranate seeds, which are very rich in antioxidants, reduce inflammation (and some believe stress). What have you got? A nutritional wonder Salad! Before Autumn sets in, make the most of the last rays of summer and try this very grown up Cauliflower Salad for your next Teddy Bear’s Picnic. It got the thumbs up from Paddington Bear round ours!
Bake it in the oven and Cauliflower is a revelation – sweet and nutty. No longer the soggy fodder once dolled out by the school dinner lady. In my take, for the picnic salad, we’ve added jewelled beads of Pomegranate. These juicy gems add a crunch to stand up against the salty, soft Feta, which is another star of the show. The Zesty Tahini dressing makes the whole thing sing!
I like to serve it with some Couscous or Quinoa and leafy greens to keep hunger locked up until dinner time. Miss EEE loves to chomp on the Cauliflower florets but still doesn’t cope with the small Pomegranate seeds, which could be a choking hazard, so be careful if you’re sharing this one Mamas and Dadas.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Serves: 4 as a Side
- 1 Large Head of Cauliflower
- 1 Teaspoon of Garlic Granules
- Half a Teaspoon of Ground Black Pepper
- Half a Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 2 Tablespoons of Tahini Paste
- Juice of a quarter of a Lemon
- Zest of a quarter of a Lemon
- 3 Tablespoons of Pomegranate Seeds
- 75g Feta Cheese
- Fresh Coriander
- Chop the Cauliflower into even sized florets and place in a single layer in a ceramic roasting dish.
- Sprinkle the Garlic Granules and Ground Black Pepper over. Drizzle with Olive oil. Then turn it all over using your hands to ensure an even coverage.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins until al-dente and starting to caramelise, turning halfway through to ensure an even bake.
- In the meantime, make the Tahini dressing. Crush 1 clove of garlic and mix with 2 tablespoons of tahini paste.
- Add water to loosen the consistency, add 10ml at a time. You will probably need about 50ml depending on how you like it.
- Stir in the Lemon Juice and Zest.
- Once the Cauliflower is out of the oven, sprinkle over the Pomegranate Seeds and Feta
- When you’re ready to serve (or should I say PICNIC!!!!) drizzle over the Tahini Dressing and some chopped Coriander.